Causes for acne:
-the skin producing too much sebum (oil),
-dead skin cells accumulate in your pores,
-the presence of bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes),
– inflammation of the skin, which also leads to redness.
These problems contribute to the development of pimples. A pimple appears when bacteria grows in a clogged pore and the oil is unable to escape.
How do I prevent acne:
-Properly wash your face. To help prevent pimples, it’s important to remove excess oil, dirt, and sweat daily.
-Moisturize your skin. Many acne products contain ingredients that dry the skin, so always use a moisturizer that minimizes dryness and skin peeling. Look for “noncomedogenic”, which means it should not cause acne. There are moisturizers made for oily, dry, or combination skin.
– Feed your skin. Avoid greasy food and junk food and add more fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet. Dairy products and foods high in processed sugar may trigger acne. Avoid these.
– Avoid touching your face. Every time your fingers meet your face, they transfer dirt and oils. It’s a hard habit to break, but an important one.
– Don’t pick or pop your pimples. It only increases your changes for infection, inflammation and clog surrounding pores, making your pimple problem worse.
How do I treat acne in clinic:
We offer a wide range of treatments designed specifically to treat different acne condition, like:
-Deep Cleansing Facial with Ultrasounds
-Chemical Skin Peels
-Fire and Ice
The procedure we use to treat your skin will depend on the severity of your acne, and which treatments we believe will get you the best results. Some of the treatments above are better for active acne, whereas others will be better to treat acne scarring. During your consultation, we will examine your skin and talk you through the available options so that we can work together to come up with a plan bespoke to you and your skin.
How do I treat acne at home:
Use products with active ingredients like salicylic, glycolic acid and vitamin A.
-Salicylic acid is well-known for reducing acne by exfoliating the skin and reducing the oily shine on your face. It is oil-soluble so can penetrate deep down into your skin and unclog pores and even dissolve some of the keratin plugs that block follicles.
-Glycolic acid exfoliates the top layer of the skin, which is helpful in reducing acne scars and sunspots. As a result, the dead skin cells are no longer able to mix with the sebum in your skin and clog your pores. Glycolic acid speeds up this helpful process and keeps skin healthy. And when your skin is healthy it’s better at fighting off breakouts.
-Vitamin A helps to speed up healing, prevent breakouts and support the skin’s immune system and it promotes natural moisturising – which means it helps to hydrate the skin effectively, giving it a radiant glow. It assists in promoting and maintaining a healthy dermis and epidermis – the top two layers of your skin. In addition, vitamin A can regulate skin tone and reduce the red, purple and brown colouring that acne can leave on the skin. It can also reduce the size and productivity of your oil glands, meaning that your skin produces less acne-causing oil.
– Tebiskin® OSK-Clean -Soothing cleanser for acne, and oily or congested skin. A specific cleanser for oily skin prone to acne, with a profound cleansing action to remove accumulated sebum exerting a beneficial matt effect.
-Tebiskin® UV OSK -Treat acne, oily skin and congested skin with added sun protection. A day cream which contains key acne-busting ingredients designed to kill all acne bacteria and rapidly reduce inflammation. It also contains a high strength SPF 30 to protect the skin against damaging UVa and UVb rays, both of which can exacerbate acne symptoms.
– IS Clinical Active Serum- A blend of natural extracts boost the skin’s exfoliation processes to remove damaged cells and decongest the pores of irritants and debris while Arbutin and Mushroom Extract inhibit melanin production for a reduction in dark spots and uneven tone. Key ingredient Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, which is a natural source of Salicylic Acid, works to combat breakouts and blocked pores. With regular use, breakouts become less angry, fine lines are softened and skin looks noticeably clearer.
– Obagi Retinol- Retinol is a type of retinoid, which is a class of Vitamin A compounds and derivatives that are popular in products designed to improve skin complexion and texture. It works at both the surface and middle layers of the skin to unclog pores, smooth scars, and regulate oil production.
-CLENZIDerm Obagi System – The CLENZIderm System is prescription-strength and designed to combat acne. The system is comprised of three products, a Daily Foaming Cleanser, Pore Therapy Serum and Therapeutic Lotion. System will help you get clear, hydrated and beautiful skin. It works to unclog pores and banish blemishes once and for all and is the only acne treatment system with a liquid form of benzoyl peroxide, making it clinically proven to visibly clear skin in as little as 2 weeks.